Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Tribute to my Grandpa

I LOVE YOU GRANDPA! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!
Yesterday my dad called me telling me that my Grandpa passed away. I was so heart broken listening to my dad cry over the phone when he told me the news. I remember feeling a lump in my throat as I tried to hold back my tears as they rolled down my cheeks. I knew my Grandpa was ready and it wasn't going to be long before he would meet the Lord in Heaven, but I wasn't thinking he would go this soon. I'm just happy that he is not suffering any more. I wrote my Grandpa a letter back on January 19 of this year. I would like to share it with you all.....so here it goes.


                                                                  Grandpa, My Hero

        Many of us have a hero or someone who we consider to be a hero. Some have heroes who are athletes or doctors. Some even consider their teachers or their pet to be their hero. My hero is my Grandpa, Glenn E. Griffis. He fought in the WWII from February 1943 to January 1946 in the Air Force. Not only did he fight for his country, but he would fight for God and his family.

            When my Grandpa married my Grandma (Lucille Griffis) on July 21, 1942, he made a vow to not only love her unconditionally, but also to God. My Grandpa and Grandma were faithful members of Juniata Baptist Church for many years. My Grandpa was a Sunday school teacher for 25 years and a Deacon for 30 years. He also was involved in many other things in the church. Then in 2003, my Grandpa and Grandma came to Cornerstone Baptist Church. He liked to go to the Bible studies on Thursdays when he was able too.

            My Grandpa also loved to read the Bible. He liked to have his family involved in reading Bible devotions too. I remember sitting on his lap every morning reading the Bible with him and Grandma when I was a little girl. Grandpa would always read the Christmas story of Jesus' birth every year before Christmas dinner as well. I always loved that about Grandpa. But the one thing I remember most about Grandpa is he always made time to pray.

          I consider my Grandpa to be a Prayer Warrior. Grandpa would spend some Sunday mornings praying during the service at Cornerstone with some other men. He always prayed most of all for his family. He would pray for us everyday and tell us he would too. That is why my Grandpa is my Hero.

        I'm so proud to have a Grandpa that made such a great impact in my life. I'm so thankful for all his prayers and Godly influence he has showed me to become the person I am today. I can't thank him enough and I love him with all my heart.


I read that letter to him when he was in the hospital and the doctors where telling everyone he probably would only have a few weeks or so to live. But the doctors didn't know that the Lord wasn't ready for him yet. My Grandpa still had work to do on Earth. He still had to tell others about God and save souls to Christ. My mom and I even got to witness him tell my cousin how to get saved over the phone. That was such a happy moment that day in his room at the Pines nursing home. Now my cousin will also get to see Grandpa in Heaven some day. My Grandpa loved the Lord with all his heart and his family. He made sure that all his family knew Jesus Christ as their Saviour and accepted Him into their lives. Grandpa was such a great soul winner for Christ. He was so ready to meet the Lord up in Heaven and see his wife. Now he is in that wonderful place called Heaven and I can't wait to see him again on day. I Love You Grandpa and will always remember all the times we spent together. Thank You for everything you have done for me and my family. Say "Hi" to Grandma for me and tell her I love and miss her.  XOXO
        








No comments:

Post a Comment